Monday, November 10, 2008

Unadulterated Capitalistic Rant

What is an "Unadulterated Capitalistic Rant"?

Blogged by a house, no less?

"Buy me".

I don't ask for much, and my owner is lazier (or just not motivated, is that it?) than most. I don't have a nicely painted realtor's "for sale" sign out front, just one of those buy-it-at-Loew's sell-it-yourself for-sale-by-owner plastic placards.

I used to have a Craigslist post... but that expired and is no longer. He hasn't recreated it yet.

Now I have a homepage, blog, a podcast, a FaceBook page, even a blip.tv page which is hosting my podcast. But the blip.tv site doesn't have a "trailer" video. Blip is, after all, a video site... why no video, owner!? Show folks my rooms, my gardens, my bamboo groves, how easy it is to find me (although I'm on a "dead-end" street in little ol' Wilkins Township). Do I have to show them myself??


[URL: Google Maps aerial view]

Also, what do you want to sell me for? What price? You have that listed nowhere on this blog, but you want to sell me? As they say in the blog/twitter world, "WTF"?

Okay, since you won't set a price, I'll set an expectation for the reader. Here's a house which has inspired a weird blog, a slightly more weird podcast (with about four people in the audience, one of whom may be my owner) several videos on Google's video site (under the moderately unassuming and offbeat name "Silurian-Devonian Films"), and countless twitter posts. Well, alright, 84 updates as of this post is not "countless", but there is some energy there. In short, this is a house with global reach, a global audience, essentially a global character...and two mature phyllostachys bamboo groves. This house has an impressive Turtle Creek Valley view (looking up towards Monroeville, PA) from high on an Eastward facing hillside; lush foliage surrounds it; a bustling seasonal greenhouse is situated just down the hill, across the street, originally owned by John Ayers, for whom this plan of lots was named; and lies just 14 miles from downtown Pittsburgh (dahntahn for yinzers), a 20-minute drive down I-376 on the weekends.

Mostly Harmless may be the planet my foundation rests upon, but Mostly Harmless I am not!

What price should I fetch in this depressed, depressing market? I think a global price. What think you?

Had I feet, I'd get down off this soapbox. But a thick, rocky field-stone foundation is all I've got, so I'll just stop.

..HF.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your blog but sad it has a case for existence. Just wanted to tell you that selling a house is all about price. Have you had a Market Analysis done by a qualified Realtor? I do a little in the East End but not much, Wilkins is kind of far for me, so I'm not trying for your listing. I just think your Twitter and Blog are fun and interesting. You've done a great job with internet marketing and creativity.

Amy Fisher, ABR, QSC, Realtor
Coldwell Banker Real Estate Services

House Forlorn said...

Amy,

thank you for your comment.

You make a good point, that the blog started for a particular reason...to sell me in an indirect way...but were I to sell tomorrow, the blog, podcast and other efforts would continue with a renewed fervor. "The other house" my owner lives in has many insecurities and issues with my owner's many interests - and there are other houses that could chime in with guest posts, etc. So, while there is an endgame in mind for one structure (two houses, actually, beside one another), continuation of this creative endeavor was intended from the beginning. :-)

Interestingly, my owner's involvement in Podcamp Pittsburgh, and his work for local web development firm Elliance, Inc. has him involved in learning all the ways a blog and associated properties can funnel readership - so, stay tuned!

..HF.